Saturday 14 December 2013

All This Mess Undressed

This is going to be a bit of a weird one - I think it would probably be a 'November Thoughts' if it weren't already halfway through December! I usually do most of my bloggy stuff at the weekend, but last weekend I was in Oxford overnight (watching a wonderful production of Kvetch) so I didn't get around to it, and I currently have no idea what I'm going to write about. Let's see...
 
I really like the outfit I wore in Oxford, above and below. Not only was it super warm and comfortable, but inadvertently grunge-inspired. I thought about going the whole hog with messy, smudged makeup, but sometimes it's better just to pick and choose elements of a style, so I went with my usual strong brow and natural face, plus a neat flick of black liner.
 
I've finally figured out gifs!





































The skirt is a vintage kilt (previously owned by my granny) the graphic tee is also vintage (my mum's) and the shirt is Gant, inherited from my brother. I am nothing if not resourceful when it comes to finding new clothes! Shoes are from Bertie, and coat from Primark. Alternatively, you could wear a black turtleneck underneath the shirt, as I did the next day.

Some other things I like at the moment:
  • Marika Hackman, the queen of weird, beautiful, melancholy music, especially her collab with Sivu, another favourite of mine. Listen to 'Skin' and the rest of her music here.


  • Also, this short story. Ah, so beautifully romantic and unromantic at the same time.

  • My hair. This may seem vain, but I wanted to grow it for such a long time but, when I started to, it turned lank and boring. Now it is finally at a length where I can style it in funky ways, and it's getting its old candyfloss-ish volume back. Yay!

  • On that note, French plaits. They keep all your hair back, don't make your head look alien, and leave pretty curls behind when you take them out.

  • The Paradise, on BBC one. To be honest, I watched this 60% for the costumes, but the plot is pretty great as long as you ignore how rubbish the main love interest, Moray, is. The evil Tom Weston is so  much more interesting. The second series is on BBC iPlayer, the first is available on DVD.

  • Strong coffee. How else are we meant to get through mock exams? I was entertained by the barista who clearly expected me to ask for something weak and syrupy, and had to ask three times 'So you actually drink black coffee?' Next time, though, he remembered me as the black-coffee-girl, so he's a winner.

  • Not Christmas. I am a complete Grinch. Sorry.

So, as I said, a weird post. Better things are on the way - I'm planning out a post on female-specific insults, and some music and gift ideas (the closest I'll get to Christmassy). Have a lovely weekend,
xxx

11 comments:

  1. soo cuteee!Shall we follow by facebook and bloglovin?
    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet! Your style on your blog is awesome, so I've followed you on bloglovin :) My bloglovin link is at the top right of the page!
      Xxx

      Delete
  2. I really love this outfit :') I adore Marika Hackman and the Rookie post is really fascinating. Oh God, I know what you mean about the coffee thing! Everyone at schools takes the piss out of me because I get black coffee every break time :S I overheard someone a few weeks ago sarcastically saying 'oh let's go and write blog posts and drink black coffee with Sophie in Starbucks.' Ugh. Although that sounds like a lovely day to me :') Ha!!

    http://prettypassionsfinefashions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly people not realising the value of good coffee and blogging time - that sounds perfect to me! And yay, another Marika fan! Xxx

      Delete
  3. beautiful outfit x

    rubys-eyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete